We pretty much all love them, they’re extremely elegant, It’s the ideal footwear on a night out with the girls, or when you go on a date with that cute guy you’ve been looking forward to for ages.
Quotes have been written to describe the amazing and sexy feeling heels can give woman, not only are they elegant, but they make your legs look longer as well, these days you can find pretty much any kind of shoe with a heel under it, (sandals, boots, classic close toe ones).
But how does Carrie Bradshaw walk so effortlessly in those heels? First of all, you should know that they would wear Uggs or flip-flops in between the scenes. To make it a little more comfortable, and easier.
But How does she do it in the series and in the movies? when she’s running or walking it seems like she’s not bothered by any foot-pain at all.
Here are some tips to make you love heels even more,
Tip 1, Invest! I cannot point out enough how important it is to invest in a good pair of heels, not all your heels have to be pricey, you can easily combine a set of H&M’s with some Jimmy’s, why invest you say, well because expensive shoes usually have more little tricks to make your feet not suffer so much, such as more of the little cushions on the sole of the foot, and they are more designed to give your ankles a little rest an not suffer too much while wearing them, i have been a die-hard fan of 12cm heels since i was 15, i loved the look of it, i loved how my legs looked like when i wore them, i bought my first pair of heels at a discount sale, i remember exactly how much they were, 15 euros… Since i was convinced buying a bigger size would help (which didn’t btw) i bought a size 42 (my normal size is 40) big mistake (pun intended)… not only did i got blisters all over my feet, it was also impossible to even walk in them, so i went for my second pair, i found a black pair of high black pumps with a 5 cm platform in them but the actual height of the shoe was in total 12 cm (why platform? Because platform is easier to walk in, especially if you’re a beginner, it doesn’t feel like you’re walking in such high heels if you wear one that has platforms, i would advice everybody to start with a platform shoe).
The first few times i wore them they were painful… so painful i couldn’t feel my feet anymore, now this is the tricky part not everybody is going to experience the same kind of pain i did, but in case you do experience some pain, the nr 2 rule is to stick with it anyhow. Try to wear your heels even if they pinch a bit, for at least one hour a day, that doesn’t have to be outside you can easily wear them inside in the comfort of your own home, as long as you wear them that’s all that matters.
Once my black pumps were so to say ‘adjusted’ to my feet they were actually not so bad at all, i wore them every weekend when i went out, or when i went to a party or a casting, or for a photoshoot i would try to arrive in heels to make a good first impression (note: it’s not necessary to wear heels to make a good first impression per se. but they made me feel more comfortable so i did it most of the time)
Because the modelling industry loves high heels, i would walk in high heels as much as i can even on my days off so i could get used to the feeling and so i wouldn’t get painful feet at a photoshoot or at a catwalk.
That’s the third most important tip, keep wearing the heels even if you’re already used to wearing them.. it’s because if you keep wearing your heels, your feet will really get used to heels as best as it can, and your feet won’t be painful at all when you wear them.
5 years later when i was 20 years old, i saw some beautiful pink sandals in a department store Australia. Not only were they gorgeous, they were sexy and sooo comfy. And that’s how i got my very first pair of Jimmy Choo!
I must admit, after wearing them many times over i got hooked…Jimmy’s were such a change from my normal ‘Zara’ or H&M heels, these sandals felt like i was wearing flip-flops, no pain at all, and i could wear them for hours easily. IT WAS A REVELATION!
Since my limited student budget wasn’t all that big and i had been spending most of my money on clothes, it dawned on me that i had to figure out a way to pay for my luxury shoes without spending thousands of euros on them. The answer to this would be to watch out for special promotions in department stores, each year, at least 3 or 4 times big department stores have their ‘DESIGNER SALE’ OR ‘SUMMER SALE’. note: Some Jimmy Choo boutiques offers shoes in sale as well, sometimes during the year. (i don’t know if Louboutin or Manolo and many other brands do it as well) but i know they are all on sale in the big department stores as well.
Luckily one pair of jimmy’s or Manolo’s or Louboutin’s or any other brand will last a pretty long time, before you wear them out, i still wear my Jimmy’s from 3 years ago, i had to fix them sometimes, but that was because my heel got stuck in elevator (i was devastated)
I got my second pair of Jimmy’s at the Bergdorf and Goodman (very sex and the city) designer sale, i got my third pair there as well (while i was there anyways…Never one to turn down on a good sale).
The 2nd pair was blue/grey and turned into illuminating grey almost when it was dark outside, which makes the shoes really stand out on a night out, when i went to try them at the Bergdorf and Goodman, 4 different woman all came up to me to tell me to do it, i had never gotten so many reactions to one shoe.
The third pair is exactly the same model i bought in Australia but instead of being pink and glossy leather, these ones are black suede. Ideal for the summer!
One month later i got black 20 cm’s pumps from Dior as a early Birthday day gift from my mom, i loved them! unfortunately after many try-out’s my feet didn’t get a lot of support in them, and i would flick my foot often when i was wearing them… So sadly they’re in the back of my closet at the moment.. A few days later i bought a pair from Ellie Saab 25cm’s red sandals with a platform, they are amazing, only downside is that they are extremely heavy and not very practical to dance with or walk a while in, but i still love them though!
Shortly after that there was a sale going on in the Jimmy Choo store in Marbella, and i bought myself, one dark brown and one bright red pair, with a closed point toe, they are pretty classical, but you can easily spice them up a bit, with wearing a special kind of bag to go with it, or you can turn it into a casual outfit, with a ripped jeans and an oversized shirt.
If you find a brand that has the heels you feel the most comfortable in, and who you find really beautiful, always stick with it!
It might be surprising to know that heels were originally invented to be worn by men.
So the evening is finally there and you realise that although they maybe gorgeous and beautiful, your heels are pretty painful for your feet to walk into them.
Quick tips i’ve learned along my career that helps you to fit into your heels without pain:
1, if you wear your heels and you do sense a bit of pain (like when a shoe is pinching your feet at a specific place) try finding out which side that is and apply a small band aid to the inside, this has helped me many times in the past, because it’s quick and nobody notices it. Note: sometimes you can even put a potato or something else that’s round and fits inside your shoe, to loosen the leather a bit before you go out, this can only be applied to some shoes though.
2, Walk them girl…! or sit with them, doesn’t matter what you are doing as long as you wear them that’s all that matters. make the leather or any other material it is get comfortable to your feet.
3. if they are painful, try not to kick them out straight away, usually a good shoe will be painful the first, second and sometimes even the third time you’ll wear them, but after that, the leather or other material is usually well adjusted to your feet and it won’t bother you anymore.
4. care for your shoes…Be careful when walking, don’t be afraid to hold your boyfriend or girlfriend if you feel like the floor underneath you is rather slippery or when there is a terrible pavement or floor underneath. You also have less risk of breaking your heel, or damaging it, or damaging the shoe in general.
(most of the damages can’t be reversed, so sometimes they won’t be able to fix your shoe anymore and walking into a little hole can actually cost you your whole shoe).
Tips for walking elegantly:
5. Always walk with your leg straight, you bend it once…And you prepare your leg to take the next step, this means you actually set foot on the ground with your leg stretched as much as possible, you can bend it a little bit if this is too difficult, but once you master this trick, your legs will automatically adjust to the floor with every step like this. Note: Learn to walk like this while holding onto something first, because it’s really easy to lose your balance while learning this.
6. when you let your heel touch the ground, your heel should touch the ground first and after the rest of your feet has to follow, many people walk with their toes first, which is terrible for your legs and your posture and will result in painful feet pretty quickly no matter what kind of heels you’ll be wearing.
7. the best shoes to learn are closed toe shoes. Why’s that? Because when your feet are completely inside the shoe, it is easier for you to keep your balance and focus.
8. The height of your heels: That depends on the kind of height you wanna go for, if you want to wear 5 cm heels, you should learn how to walk on 5 cm heels as well, but if you love love love 12 cm heels, you should go straight for the really high ones, the 12 cm ones. Why is that? Well i know some blogs have been saying it’s easier to get used to heels on 5cm heels or shorter, but i find it working the exact opposite, because learning how to walk on heels is really not as difficult and as hard as it seems, so you might as well give it a try on the heels you actually want to wear and not on the ones you think you can wear, unless of course you feel more comfortable on 5cm heels at first.
9. When buying your first pair: Try going for a pair of not too expensive heels, because in that case it’s not such a big deal if you scratch them or if you break the heel by accident. I would advice you to invest in heels once you feel completely comfortable with them.
10. Enjoy it! Wearing heels is so much fun.
11. to go back to tip 10, however always and always bring an extra set of flip-flops or sneakers with you, because no matter what kind of comfy heels you might have, sometimes your feet just wanna have a rest.
The higher the better. It’s more about an attitude. High heels empower women in a way. “Christian Louboutin”
You put high heels on and you change. “Manolo Blahnik”
I think any woman can be transformed by a beautiful dress and high heels. “Linda Gray”
If they ever do my life story, whoever plays me needs lots of hair color and high heels. “Charlize Theron”